Monday, May 02, 2011

the social network

I'm relatively new to twitter and sometimes feel it's a bit decadent (does every intimate detail of someone's life really need to be broadcast?).  But, it is a fun way to keep up with people while being abroad as well as let people in to funny random things that happen on a daily basis in Norway.  And, a feature I do like is being able to subscribe to what is essentially a news feed from some different sources like Paste Magazine (Music), The Economist, NPR News and the EIA (U.S. Energy Information Administration).  Not to long after writing my post a, b, c's, these updates filled my twitter feed.....


Ouch.  Almost $1 up in both gas and diesel from a year ago. People have to be feeling this on their budgets.  Gas is a relatively inelastic good in the short run (I know, I'm getting all economics-y on ya) meaning peoples behavior doesn't change much.  The bigger question will be the effect higher prices have on the long run.  Do we start getting serious about smaller cars?  Or investing better in usable public transportation?    The probability this stimulates important R&D in alternatives is good.  And, the future will remain to be scene.  But, I have an idea.  Instead of moaning about how high gas prices are (which, might I remind us, the rest of the world laughs at because we have some of the lowest gas prices), let's use that good old American ingenuity and figure out some new and better solutions.  We've always been pioneers, why not keep exploring new territory?

And, what the hey... click here if you want to follow me on twitter ;)

socially yours and studying for finals,
lisa liv

No comments: