Wednesday, March 07, 2012

KONY 2012


I'm bursting with pride right now. 

A little trip down memory lane.... I was very involved in musical theater growing up, and back in high school I was in Christian Youth Theater's (CYT) San Diego central production of 'Beauty and the Beast'.  The show was great fun in large part to a stellar and jovial cast, crew and leadership.  The director of the show was Jason Russell.  Jason and I both ended up at USC where I was studying business/marketing/cinema-tv and he was studying film making.  We were both in the Greek system so our paths crossed here and there and it was fun to joke about old times, etc.

Jason and two other young film makers fresh out of USC ended up on a film making adventure to Africa.  While there they stumbled upon child soldiers in Joseph Kony's child army in Uganda as well as the children that walk far distances to 'safe houses' every night so they are not abducted in their sleep and forced into this rebel army.  The filmmakers were beyond shocked and made a moving piece, Invisible Children.'  They also felt called to launch a movement to spread the word about the injustice. The movement quickly grew and has now spread around the world.

I can truly say this as I sit in my room in Bergen, Norway and my Norwegian friend, Marius, facebooks me the link to the latest Invisible Children film, KONY2012, saying it's worth every minute of watching.  Woah!   

I couldn't be more proud of and happy for my friends from San Diego, CA who have started a movement which is now buzzing around the world.  Bravo Jason and Invisible Children supporters!!

KONY2012 is the next installment and I encourage you to watch it here.  Check out the movement and get involved.


buzzing and feeling inspired,
lisa liv

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - that is really cool!

lisa olson said...

thanks Sara! I know, it was a pretty unreal moment to realie the reach of what they've created :) maybe we could make a 'high school musical' sequel... what happens after the jazz hands days!