Monday, March 05, 2012

love me some ocean power


If you know me, you know I'm a surfer girl.  If you don't know me, nice to meet you and check back to my posts from last summer ... you can read all about my summer as a surf instructor and my unfortunate run in with a sting ray.

Sooo, it's probably no surprise that I love the notion of energy from the ocean.  Maybe because I've had my fair share of feeling the wrath of seemingly little waves?  Let me assure you, there's some power in those things!  In any event, I've always been a little perplexed we don't hear more about ocean systems, wave or tidal, to capture energy.  I understand, ocean conditions are rough and tough on machinery, etc.  So, it was neat to read this from the Department of Energy (click here for the full story):

As part of the Roosevelt Island Tidal Energy project, 30 turbines are being installed along the strait that connects the Long Island Sound with the Atlantic Ocean in the New York Harbor. The project, led by Verdant Power, Inc., is the first ever commercially licensed tidal energy project in the United States..... the turbines will create enough energy to power 9,500 homes.   



dreaming of waves,
lisa liv

ps. thank you facebook friends of Southern California for insisting on posting photos of the insane 80 degree weather yesterday.  I was just happy it wasn't raining in Bergen but you had to go and rub it in, didn't you? ;) love, me

No comments: