Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Giving of Thanks day!


Wishing you and yours, around the world, a very happy thanksgiving!  It's always a little odd being abroad on a day like today.  There are no turkeys in the windows or Thanksgiving garlands in the stores.  But, I relish in all I have to be thankful and continue to share the idea of giving thanks today here in Bergen.  Seriously, we are so blessed (if you are reading this, it means you are on a computer- you are blessed!).   I am thankful for the opportunity to be living and studying abroad where I have met wonderful people and explored the world.  And, I'm exceedingly thankful for getting to head 'home' in three weeks to spend Christmas and New Years with family and friends in California.  

While I'm not doing a thanksgiving meal today, my flatmates and I did a good ol' traditional thanksgiving dinner last friday night.  We made (and I can say we, they were excited to learn and help in the kitchen) turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing (from scratch!), gravy and a carrot side.  Ida was super and made a berry dessert.  I am very thankful for all the fun I've had with these guys this semester.  They are the best!

Kenneth, Bjornar and Kunt Anders
Here's our spread:


Bjornar very excited for dessert


Tonight on my way home from the library my friend and study buddy, Martha, alerted me to the fact it's a special shopping day where all of the stores are open until midnight- wait, what?!  Has black friday infiltrated the serene and peaceful Norway?  I've never given in to black friday.  In fact, you couldn't pay me to participate in the insanity.  But, today it was alluring.  The shops were right on our walk home.  The night was nice.  There was a holiday cheer in the air.  Music was playing and they were making waffles.  What's a girl to do?  Indeed, shop.  So there I was, amongst the crowds (though, far more civilized... it is still Norway, no pushing and jockeying here) and Elvis was signing Christmas songs on the music system.  I may be away but not much changes.

And, with that, I'm off to ready myself for another day of studies tomorrow.  And, next week the guys are making me a traditional Christmas dinner- yea!  No Dad, not Lutefisk.  I'll be ready for that on Christmas Eve.  No taking that away from you.  They will be making Pinnekjøtt.

My amaaaaaaazing flatmates



with thanks and gratitude, 
lisa liv 


No comments: